Thursday, May 14, 2015

5/12/15 Coin Sort

What is there to do when you wake up and it's a bit of a shitty, rainy day?

Well, you can take several hours to take pictures of guitars you plan on selling and post them on Craig's List. (Which I did, and it felt like a chore)

Then you can also break out your coin jar from childhood and begin taking a look through it for rare coins. (Wheat Backs and Silver War Nickels primarily)

For those of you who have taken on this endeavor you may have something funny happens when you start looking at the dates on coins, you start to notice years get repetitive in their abundance, at least I felt like it was something I was noticing. This would be great if the years that proved repetitive were the war year nickels; which are composed of silver (so the country could use the metals previously used to make nickels for armor) hence worth much more than their monetary face value with collectors and for the material they are composed of; though it's illegal to melt them down. However, it was actually 1964 nickels that I continually ran across. Random thing to notice? Not being all that knowledgeable about coins, their values or why they the metals they are made of are changed from time to time, I took to the internet to find out if I was just seeing things... turns out there is a reason for what I figured I was noticing:

http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_are_there_so_many_1964_nickels

Knowing this after reading, I now had another particular date to look for.... and it would turn out I didn't find quite as many as I've seen in the past; probably didn't help I cashed out about five pounds/44$ worth of coins earlier in the week.

That said, here was the $130/25lbs worth of coins I sorted through:

But only 21 '64s
21 1964 Nickels lower right corner
Having discovered such a seemingly random reality I took to tweeting various thoughts concerning the coin as I poked through the large pile.
















In other news, I found time to get the first four chapter preview of my Book 'The Robot and Roy: and the Big Kosher Dinner' finalized and sent out to several select individuals. I posted a picture on instagram to commemorate said fact.



While it wasn't the most productive day as far as purging and sorting for my upcoming project is concerned, enough happened to justify being proactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment