Monday, June 1, 2015

"Update:" 1-800-876-5353

It has been a busy few weeks as I get things in order before I gear up to leave: Primarily changing out the clutch on the Eagle. Since I had to pull back the transmission to do so, I bought a transmission lift:




...and being as I was going to have to at the very least slide the transmission back after I detached it from the engine, I figured I would pull it out completely as it was a mess from a previous oil leak and who knows how many miles of driving and offroad use before I purchased the vehicle:




As you can see from the scraping of the dirt on the bell housing and the clean aluminum underneath, the whole trans was disgusting.

The inside of the bell housing where the input shaft, fork and carrier bearing are located was also black with oil and what I imagine was material from the worn clutch disc; that or a ball of yarn somehow got inside the housing and spent the remainder of its life rolling around and mixing itself in with the oil to create the tar like substance it took about three plus hours to scrape away and clean.





'Wax and Tar' remover by Rustolium is amazing and not too harsh on your person to use, it seems like it is citrus based to some extent.' Berryman's B12 Carb Cleaner' is also amazing albeit better functioning, but it eats away the latex gloves you should be wearing. After that, whatever your skin happens to absorb can't be good for you, so I refrain from using it unless I absolutely have to.

Barring the quality of photos taken with a camera phone at night by the light of a waxing moon and shed light, The surface the clutch cover (left) had grooves (Lighter colored shiny rings) from the clutch disc (center) wearing down to the rivets that hold the pad material to the plate.While the flywheel (Right, under the clutch disc); which also touches the clutch disc also had wear, it wasn't bad enough not to be able to machine it down and use in the future if needed, that said, I bought a new flywheel anyway, not knowing if the flywheel pictured was warped or unusable. In the end, I retained the flywheel and took the clutch parts back to Autozone to be recycled.  

While I don't have pictures of the assembling the clutch, you can see the three parts disassembled and here are the newer ones assembled below. (Barring the inclusion of a picture of the removal of the old pilot bushing and an installation of the new that I hammered into the end of the crankshaft.)
Pilot bearing/bushing in the very center, where the
alignment tool (diagonal black piece is protruding ) 
Snapchat Clutch Rainbow of completion

In the midst of all of this, that is: depending on time of day, how my back was holding out and my overall desire as to what I wanted to work on, I was also working on the floor of the cab, getting it ready to reassemble. It has been sans a carpet for close to a year while I scrapped all the old tar paper out to check for rust. After that was done I have been installing Dynamat when I found the time. Laborious process to say the least 
Once that was finally done; the rear of the car was also finished sometime back, I turned my attention to the torn, old and dirty carpet.





After throwing in the carpet and adding in the truck deck one-piece floor mat, the interior is now in a state of final appearance, barring the hole I need to cut into the mat to drop in the floor shifter and the putting the chairs back into their installed positions.   
Over exposed, Sans photoshop or the desire to invest time in adjusting levels at the moment.
Returning to a cleaned transmission:  

Drying pants.
Somehow looks smaller than it is.

What else have I been up to outside the vacuum that is my project car?
Not much, actually.




No comments:

Post a Comment